Monday, August 02, 2010

Sweet Little Olivia

I forgot how much work a little baby can be especially now that I have Parker and Hannah to entertain. However, Olivia has been a little more challenging. The poor baby has a clogged tear duct, baby acne, cradle cap and worst of all . . .

COLIC
Her first two weeks of life she was an angel baby. I really thought I had lucked out. Then weeks 3 and 4 she started crying every evening for a few hours. The pediatrician said it sounded like colic. Russ and I thought it was a bummer but we could handle it.

Well last week she added the mornings. Now we have 3 to 4 hours of crying and cramping every morning and every evening. We swaddle, shush, sing, give her gasX, gripe water and colic tablets and finally just let her work it out on her own. Anything that will soothe her. The good news is she takes a solid 3 hour nap mid-morning and is a happy, smiling baby in the afternoon. The pediatrician said colic usually lasts between 3 and 4 months. One month down and hopefully only 2 left. It's a stresser so any advice that anyone has would be helpful!!

8 comments:

Tiff said...

Oh, I'm sooo sorry about the colic. We've been there twice. It does get easier, but I know how hard it is. These things worked well for us: First kid: running the vacuum, or any other loud background noise, Second kid: holding him close and sitting and bouncing him on the exercise ball. I don't know if these things are helpful to you, but that's what I remember we did to ease the crying. Good luck! I hope it gets better soon! I'll be thinking of you.

The Crisps said...

Ahhh bummer! Justus had a little bit of colic, not bad, but he always calmed down if we held him football style. You know, one arm, stomach down and kinda push against his stomach.
I know in a lot of cases there is really nothing you can do..but hang in there! It will end!
We got her announcement and she is ADORABLE!! Love her!

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry! I've been lucky and haven't experienced colic, so I can't help out with advice. But I just wanted to add that Oliva is a doll. Love those headbands. Hang in there. I hope things get better for you quickly.

Jared said...

hang in there and pray for patience. We will pray for you too!

Jared said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

Ahh, I wish I had some great answer for the colic but it sounds like you're trying everything I did. We dealt with the blocked tear duct with Carver and that can get annoying and messy. He finally had the surgery to unplug it at 6 months, but I hear it goes away on it's own with most babies. But hey, at least she's a very cute and stylish baby!

derrickandlisadye said...

Hi Em! Olivia is the most beautiful little baby! What perfectly beautiful children!!! They all look just like you! Sorry about the colic thing. My little Hallie had colic but only at night and that was so not fun so I can't imagine it more than once a day. I wish I had some advice. I would vacuum and that always calmed down Hallie but every kid is different. My little boy Kyden cried all the time but it was because of food allergies. I would take colic over that any day. But still so miserable. Hopefully she grows out of it soon!!!

Shelley said...

Emily! Wow, I'm way behind in the blogging world. Congratulations on your baby! So sweet! I am so sorry about the colic, though. No advice, sorry. :( Wish I could help you out. But she's adorable! And those headbands are great, so you've got that going for you. And, totally off the subject, but can I just add I love your humor! You still just crack me up. Definitely one of the funniest people I've met. Hang in there, Em!