Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day . . . Maybe

My mom always made each holiday a lot of fun.  Every holiday had it's own set of traditions.  I wanted to do the same for Parker and Hannah and had a great day planned for St. Patrick's Day.  
Unforunately, almost all the activities backfired!  We started the morning with Parker crying because he couldn't have a cookie for breakfast.  Then he was concerned that Hannah wasn't wearing a green shirt and might get pinched.  I had to explained to him several times that Hannah's wearing a green skirt and that's okay. The day was filled with whining and crying over the littlest things. Whew!  I was very happy for bedtime to come. We did manage to build a trap for a leprechaun and make a rainbow cake.  I hope everyone's holiday was a little better than ours!

Once the Leprechaun steps in the trap to collect the gold, the box will "close" and trap him in there.  Then he'll share the gold candy with everyone.  (The leprechaun only comes out at night, so they haven't caught their leprechaun yet.)
I thought these pictures were cute.  Hannah looks up to Parker so much lately.  Everything Parker does, Hannah will do.  It's pretty cute.  I asked Parker to hold the cake and Hannah came running over to help.  I love the second picture where she's looking up to him and saying "cheeese."

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very Cute! Love you cake and your traps are so simple, love it! It is so fun to see little sisters looking up to their big brothers, Ilove it!

Carol said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day. I think the kids are going to love the "Catch a Leprechaun" game. What a fun tradition to start. You are such a fun festive mom. I can't believe how long Hannah's hair is getting. The kids look so cute! Love you

Edwin and Rebecca said...

Really cute ideas. It seriously looks like parker is going to drop that cake. I was waiting for the next picture to show the cake on the ground. I'm thinking you frosted the cake to the plate...ha ha....

Happy St. Patricks Day!

red patch ♥ family said...

You are so creative!!

Jenny said...

I am beyond impressed with your festiveness (is that a word??) Those are such cute ideas. I tried to be festive two years ago for St. Patrick's Day and colored our dinner green. To this day, I can barely stand the sight of cream cheese chicken! I love that you make it such a fun and memorable day for your kids.

Neal and Mary said...

What cute Leprechaun's and beautiful rainbows. I think they will remember this holiday. I want the gold candy!!!

Jen said...

VERY cute and fun - even if Parker was sad he didn't get to eat a cookie for breakfast. I LOVE everything you did! They will appreciate it in years to come... We didn't celebrate at all - my kids were lucky that I remembered to make sure they wore green to school that day! I like your ideas... we'll have to follow your good example and try out some fun traditions next year for St Patrick's Day! :) Tell everyone hi for us!! Love ya!

Alli said...

How cute! I'm going to have to remember to call you before holidays to find out what you are going to do for your kids. You always have such cute ideas!!